This super easy, delicious Thai coconut chicken curry is chock full of healthy protein and bright, fresh veggies. Ready in less than 30 minutes!
You can sub shrimp instead of the chicken thighs, or if you want a leaner protein, use chicken breasts. If you don’t have a veggie spiral-thingy you can just cut the zucchini into long 1/2″ thick chunks. You can even make this vegan by subbing tofu for the chicken and vegetable broth for the chicken broth. For the vegan option, I would increase the spices a little to add more flavor.
I served this with Jasmine rice for the teens, but my husband and I had it without rice and it was just as satisfying.
Note: The “curry” sauce is not thick like traditional curries. If you want a thicker sauce, whisk 1-2 tbsp of cornstarch or flour with cold water (about 1/8 cup.. you don’t want to increase the liquid) and stir it in during the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.
Thai Coconut Curry with Chicken and Zoodles
This Thai inspired dish is super easy to make and full of bright flavors and fresh veggies. It's paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, and so delish!
- 2 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 1/2 inch chunk Fresh Ginger grated (or 1 1/2 tsp dried)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 1/2 lbs Chicken thighs or breasts cut into 1" chunks
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 14.5 oz can Coconut Milk full fat (whisk before adding)
- 3 medium Carrots sliced into diagonal chunks
- 1 medium Red Pepper sliced thin
- 1 small can Bamboo Shoots found in the Asian aisle of most markets
- 4-5 medium Zucchini spiralized into noodles, or cut into long chunks
- 1/2 bunch Fresh Cilantro longer stems removed, but keep in tact (do not dice)
- Basil garnish
Mix turmeric, coriander, cumin, salt, cayenne pepper, and ginger in a small bowl and set aside
Heat a large pan or pot over medium-high heat, then add coconut oil (do not add coconut oil before the pan is hot)
Add chicken and cook until just browned all around
Add spices to the chicken and stir until well coated; cook for about 1 minute
Add chicken broth and coconut milk; stir to combine
Add carrots and red bell pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through
Just before serving, add zucchini and cook for another minute (don't overcook or they will get mushy); stir in cilantro last
Garnish with basil and serve hot
Optional: Serve over jasmine rice